Tuesday, February 18, 2014

We're Here!


We made it!

Isaiah and I are finally up and running in the ministry house in Hato del Yaque.

After six months with Isaiah in Oregon, we finally received his passport Dec 21, 2013. We landed in Santiago DR on January 1st. There have been a lot of changes for us both the last year. Even though all the changes have been positive ones, it is a relief to be getting into the groove of things.

One of my favorite changes is our living accommodations. When we flew into Santiago we drove straight to the newly open ministry house in HdY. I love living here and being part of the community every day. One of the best parts of living here is being right next door to Pastor Elido and his family. I am thoroughly enjoying chatting with Modesta almost every evening and Isaiah enjoys playing with Eliam and Amalia. It’s a pleasure to do life and ministry with friends.

So many people have worked so over the last several years to make this ministry house a reality. Pastor Elido invited the construction crew along with GO DR president, Eduard and his family, all over for some goat meat one evening. It was a gesture of gratitude. I found I had a hard time expressing my gratitude with words, because I was fighting back tears most of the evening. It was all sinking in. My wonderful son is with me and we are in HdY. Two things that were a hope only a year ago are completely reality.

Thank you to every hand that has helped to build this ministry house.

Another big change is my job description. I am very excited to be stepping into a new role within GO Ministries.

GO supports six nutrition centers in the Dominican and Haiti. Children come to eat lunch Monday through Saturday. These centers serve at risk children in impoverished communities. My hope is to assist the Pastors and Directors of these centers to extend the outreach to supply not only food, but also spiritual, emotional and educational programs that reach not only the children enrolled, but their families and the whole of the community.

We are beginning by introducing spiritual curriculum in each center that can easily be taught before the meal and create an environment for spiritual alimentation as well.

Teaching children and watching them grow has always been a passion for me, so I am delighted to work with these centers and the valiant partners that direct and lead them.

John 17:25-26

New International Version (NIV)

25 “Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. 26 I have made you[a] known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.”

 





No comments: