Monday, November 19, 2007

October 2007

Before I moved to the mission field I had the pleasure of doing children's ministry for over six years at Celebration Church. Many of the kids had been in my classes almost the whole time I was there. So they know me pretty well, and my heart for missions.






While I was stateside in September I was surprised by what the kids presented me with.






The kids had collected things to sell at a yard sale in order to buy school supplies for the children in the Dominican Republic. They ended up making enough money to buy three boxes of school supplies with three hundred dollars left to by supplies down there.






I am so proud of them.






In October, the boxes arrived in the DR. Half of the boxed supplies were given to El Colegio Isaias Emanuel, which is the elementary school in Hoya del Caimito that the GO kids program sponsors. The other half were given to Pastor Jonas who runs a school in Santa Lucia.






Two of my friends from Oregon Joined up with Crestwood Baptist Church for a mission trip to the DR. Crestwood partners with Pastor Jonas in Santa Lucia which is also known as "the fly". It is called the fly because the community lies at the base of the cities main landfill. Literally a mountain of garbage overshadows Santa Lucia.




Nobody wants to live there, but some people have to.




Crestwood came to put on a soccer camp and medical clinic for the people in Santa Lucia.


They brought a dentist that pulled teeth for two days straight with a small selection of tools and almost no water or electricity.




So, because of one churches dedication to one church in the Dominican, an entire impoverished community received Medical care, a sports event for their children, and encouragement for their Pastor.




And Because a small class of kids in a small church in Oregon, cared enough to try, hundreds of children in a third world country received school supplies for another year.








"And here is my advice about what is best for you in this matter: Last year you were the first not only to give, but also to have the desire to do so. Now finish the work, so that your eager willingness to do it may be matched by your completion of it....vs 14: At the present time your plenty will supply what they need."


~2 Corinthians 8:10+

















1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jennifer,

Great talking to you this morning. Don't know why it never ocurred to me to Google you name and see if you had a blog, etc. I just did it and you popped right up at the top of the search!. I will really enjoy reading and seeing the pictures. Thanks again.

Kent